Raleigh Tooth Extraction Emergency Dentist
If you or your child finds yourself experiencing a considerable amount of pain in the mouth, it is recommended that you see a dentist right away. In more serious cases, you may need to have an emergency tooth extraction.
Two main causes of an emergency tooth extraction procedure are:
- A tooth is too damaged for repair
- Trauma – Sometimes accidents happen: whether it is a trip and fall or trauma from a contact sport game, our teeth are the most vulnerable to injury. When your mouth is impacted, it is susceptible to bleeding or lacerations to the gums, or dislodged or fractured teeth. Should this happen, your tooth is in risk of becoming too damaged for repair. If such is the case, the dentist may recommend an emergency tooth extraction.
- Tooth decay – Good practice of dental hygiene can prevent tooth decay; however, if left untreated, it may cause irreparable damage to your teeth. If a cavity is not removed, it can cause an infection to the center of the tooth, called the pulp, causing an immediate need for extraction.
- A wisdom tooth has erupted causing pain and damage
- Pericoronitis – Pericoronitis is an inflammation caused by emerging wisdom teeth. The symptoms of this include: aches in the jaw area, swollen gum tissue, a bad taste, fever, and difficulty opening the mouth. Should this occur, the dentist may recommend an emergency tooth extraction.
At Wells Family Dentistry, you, the patient, are a top priority. In the event of an emergency, we will do our best to keep you comfortable while caring for your dental needs. Should you have to undergo an emergency tooth extraction, stay calm and communicate with your dentist about any concerns or questions. We understand that this may be a stressful time, but we strive to work with you and make any procedure as comfortable and thorough as possible.